MostlyDelores

MostlyDelores

Rachel’s Irish Family Food: 120 classic recipes from my home to yours - Rachel Allen I had never heard of Rachel Allen before I picked this book up at the library, although she has published several. Anyway, as a cookbook this was more of an exercise in nostalgia. She's got the Irish dialed up high and there are many references to grannies and the superiority of wholesome Irish ingredients. As far as the recipes go, they are relatively simple and with the amount of "good Irish butter" that gets added to everything, they are bound to taste good. I ignored the large section of meat dishes, since I don't eat meat or cook it often.Recipes where I dogeared the page:Fish pie - like shepherd's pie, but with a base of fish in a cream sauce.Fluffy lemon pudding - separates into cake above and lemon curd below when cooked.Soda bread - I know how to make soda bread but I liked the picture.Spotted dog - sweet soda bread with raisins or currents in it.Oaty shortbread - shortbread made with ground oatmeal replacing most of the flour.The stand out recipe for me:Brown bread ice cream - (I know!) brown bread crumbs toasted with sugar to make sweet little nuggety things which are then folded into ice cream.