MostlyDelores

MostlyDelores

Celebrity in Death (In Death Series #34)

Celebrity in Death (In Death Series #34) - I enjoyed it, of course, I love these books. I love Eve, even though she's getting to be a little too superhuman. This was more low-key, which was probably necessary after the last one, but it wasn't as gripping as my favorites.It's starting to gnaw at me though, that all the main characters, the whole big circle of recurring secondary and tertiary characters, are all white and straight -- in Manhattan, 50 years in the future. I mean, I can the handle the droids and the air-trams and the other technical hoo-ha, that's just details and setting and whatever. But Eve, Roarke, Peabody, McNab, Baxter, Trueheart, Feeney, Summerset, Mavis, Louise, Charles, Nadine - all white, and a really WASPy brand of white, too. We have Leonardo as the only mixed race semi-main character, and Crack, a big scary black guy with a heart of gold. And how straight are these people? Pretty damn straight. We have met gays (and people of colour) as suspects and victims, but Eve has no gay friends? No gay detectives in her bullpen? I am white, straight and shy, living in Ottawa, and I have a more diverse circle of acquaintances, friends and relatives than a police detective, in NEW YORK CITY, 50 years from now? Seriously?I guess it was bugging me more than I thought. I think Nadine needs a black girlfriend, and maybe Trueheart needs an Asian boyfriend. That would be cool. And hot.